Sanger California History
The Kern Valley Museum in Kernville has one of the largest collections of ancient California history in the state of California. The museum traces the history of Coalinga back hundreds of millions of years and is dedicated to preserving the history of this Coalinga area.
Before the area became part of Sequoia in 1935, the Converse Basin had the largest grove in the world. The city is famous for having the longest wood flame there, although Clovis, CA, has the second longest, while Madera, CA, has the third longest. It was built in 1889 and led from the Millwood mill to Mill Flat Creek, 54 miles, to Sanger.
When this happened, the railroad agreed to give the place a name and name it after Sanger and the Sangers Bros. of Dallas without consulting the locals further. Santa Fe's competition with H-TC may have made it harder for the Sanger Bros to get into the state from further north.
The plan was for the SJVR to run from Fresno to Truckee, CA, but the tracks were restricted due to the construction of the San Francisco and San Diego railroads in the late 19th century.
The Clovis - Fresno Walking Trail consists of the right - of - way, and the original railway tracks were torn out.
With this comprehensive list you can take advantage of the history and culture that make up Sanger. If you are looking for a place you want to visit, you have the option to find and save directions for future use.
The story behind the city's naming is in Sanger County's Register of Records, the oldest record in California. A decree of February 20, 1874, filed on December 14, 1878, and recorded as "Sanger, California, County of Santa Barbara," contains the following dates: Letters seeking information refer to "Miss SANGER," who has resigned from her position as a nurse at San Bernardino County Hospital. The file for the old newspaper for this county town is on page 1, page 2 on page 4, page 3, under the title "A letter from Mrs. Sangers, a retired teacher.
Sanger became a nurse, attended Claverack College and the Hudson River Institute in 1896, and completed a nursing program at White Plains Hospital in 1902. That year she married architect William Sanger and moved to Hastings, New York, where the couple had three children. The couple spent several years there before moving to Washington to become the first woman to serve in the White House.
In 1887, she visited a shipyard, and at that meeting, a group of railroad officials informed her that they had named a town in Fresno County after her. She wrote that friends of hers who had traveled the West had returned with glowing reports about the small town of Fresno, County, California, that bears her name. The records show that when the Indians raided and killed A.H. Fortenberry, they were pursued by settler groups and driven to Fort Sill, where they were housed by the federal government in 1860. Though she remained a passionate advocate for birth control, Sanger retired in 1896 and moved to Tucson, Arizona.
Clovis pioneer John Mitchell Heiskell began working in the mine in 1871 and founded a ranch that was later called Old Copper Mine Ranch. He brought his wife and children, the only family to live on the site, which became Sanger after the railway was completed in 1887. It is not known how the bee heirs sold Thomas Huling and what they did with the land, which also included the present-day town of Sangers. The other Kentucky descended from the Wilsons, who founded Fresno County's first public school, Fresno High School, in the 1960s.
The name was proposed for Fresno County by a rancher who lived near the intersection of Clovis Avenue and Jensen in Fresno. A large plot of land in the southern part of Sanger was sold to Malachi Hampton and called Hampton Addition to Sangers. In 1917, he sold 160 acres of prime grapes and planted them on the property of his family, who moved to Fresno to buy properties in the city. The U.S. Postal Service now declares "Sanger" the "Christmas Tree City," and the city's name honors the tree.
The effigy is exhibited in the numerous archaeological collections that Sanger has made at the institution and in others throughout the country. The South Pacific Station is now home to the Southern California Natural History Museum in Fresno and the California Historical Society.
The main building of double mud brick and the winery still exist today as part of the Fresno Discovery Center in Fresno, at this address. The Clovis Museum is located in the historic city of Fresno on the east side of Interstate 5, north of Highway 101.
This historic Victorian house was built in 1888 by the family of Dr. John C. Clovis, a Civil War surgeon who became a well-known physician from Fresno. Born in 1860 in Maryland, he came to California in 1877 and studied telegraphy at the University of California, Berkeley, before moving to Fresno County. He farmed and hauled grain in the Modesto area before moving to Yosemite County and then the Fresno area.